Predictors of performance in the licensure examination for agriculturists (LEA) in Western Mindanao State University
Success of graduates in the Licensure Examination for Agriculturists (LEA) presents a tangible confirmation of the instructional quality in an HEI. This retrospective, ex post facto study (N=216) investigated predictors of first attempt success in the LEA among Agriculture graduates of Western Mindanao State University (WMSU). Non-academic and academic variables were selected after exhaustive literature review centered on licensure examinations. Unfortunately, there is a need to fill the research gap as far as LEA success predictors are concerned. Heider’s Attribution Theory and Shewhart’s Theory of Prediction contextualized success of WMSU College of Agriculture graduates in the LEA. This study determined the gender, degree program, length of time between graduation and examination, Overall Ability Percentile Rating (OAPR), General Weighted Average (GWA) in English, Mathematics, Crop Science, Soil Science, Crop Protection, Animal Science, Agricultural Economics and Marketing, Agricultural Extension and Communication, and performance in the LEA (pass/fail). The study revealed the predictors and determined the binary logistic regression model: Likelihood of success in the LEA log (p/1-p) = -0.12 (Gender) + 0.35 (Degree program) – 0.02 (Length of time between graduation and examination)+ 0.70 (Overall ability percentile rating) + 0.60 (English GWA) + 0.76 (Mathematics GWA) – 0.16 (Crop Science GWA) – 2.00 (Soil Science GWA) - 0.72 (Crop Protection GWA) – 0.18 (Animal Science GWA) – 1.04 (Agricultural Economics and Marketing GWA) – 0.06 (Agricultural Extension and Communication GWA) + 0.30. The research also revealed that OAPR and Soil Science GWA are good predictors. These outcomes may serve as baseline information that will enhance and modify existing admission policies. Remediation and curriculum development among others are suggested as a result of the current study.
2. Arenillo, S. A. & Arenillo, M. T. (2009). Preservice education and performances in teacher licensure examination among graduates of Mindoro State College of Agriculture and Technology. JPAIR
Multidisciplinary Journal, 2(1), 132-143.
3. Ari, A., Atalay, O. T., & Aljamhan, E. A. (2010). From admission to graduation: the impact of gender on student ac,ademic success in respiratory therapy education. J Allied Health, 39(3), 175-178.
4. Carr, S. M. (2011). NCLEX-RN pass rate peril: One school’s journey through curriculum revision, standardized testing, and attitude change. Journal of Nursing Education Perspectives: Research,
5. Castillo, T. R. (2011). Determinants of success of the Bachelor of Secondary Education Graduates of the Bataan Peninsula State University in the Licensure Examination for Teachers. Retrieved
6. CHED. (2014). CHED Priority Courses for AY 2014-2015 to AY 2017-2018. Retrieved http://www.ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CMO-01-series-of-2014-CHED-Priority-Courses-for-AY-
7. Clemen, R. (1989). Combining forecasts: a review and annotated bibliography. International Journal of Forecasting, 5(4), 559-581.
8. Creswell, J. W. (2012). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among the five traditions. California: Sage.
9. Daley, L., Kirkpatrick, B., Frazier, S., Chung, M., & Moser, D. (2003). Predictors of NCLEX-RN success in a baccalaureate nursing program as a foundation for remediation. Journal of Nursing
Education, 42(9), 390-398.
10. Deci, E. L. (1975). Intrinsic motivation. New York: Plenum.
11. Figuerres, O. B. (2012). An analysis of the performance of the University of Northern Philippines in the Licensure Examination for Teachers. Unpublished Dissertation. University of Northern
Philippines, Vigan, Ilocos Sur.
12. Forones, A. G. (2012). Engineering Board Examination results: a measure of the predictive influence of the general and professional subjects. UIC Research Journal, 8(12), 1-20.
13. Fortier, M. E. (2010). Predictors of success of the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses among transfer BSN students. Retrieved from
14. Garcia, G. C. (2013) Academic performance as determinant to pass the Licensure Examination for Teachers. JPAIR Multidisciplinary Journal, 2(1), 69-75.
15. Gerundio, M. G., & Balagtas, M. U. (2014). Exploring formula for success in Teachers’ Licensure Examination in the Philippines. Educational Measurement and Evaluation Review, 5(1), 104-117.
16. Guanzon, D. T. P., & Marpa, E. P. (2014). Philippine Normal University Admission Test and College Grade Point Average as Predictors of Licensure Examination for Teachers. Retrieved from
17. Manusov, V. & Spitzberg, B. (nd). Attribution Theory. Retrieved http://www.corwin.com/upm-data/21200_Chapter_3.pdf.
18. Mateo, R. M. (1998). Determinants of performance of college faculty in Teacher Educational Institutions in Region I. Unpublished Dissertation. Mariano Marcos State State University, Laoag City.
19. Momany, M. T. (2013). The relationship between professional exam performance and certain demographic characteristics of Jordanian CPA candidates. Global Review of Accounting and Finance,
20. Navarro, R. T., Vitamog, A. T., Tierra, R. J. C., & Gonzales, D. M. J. (2011). Predictors of NLE performance. JPAIR Multidisciplinary Journal, 6(1), 232-246.
21. Neri, D. L. E. (2009). Intellective variables as predictors to NLE performance. Liceo Journal of Higher Education Research, 6(1), 56-75.
22. Ortúzar, J. D. D., & Garrido, R. A. (1994). A practical assessment of stated preferences methods. Transportation, 21(3), 289-305.
23. Ong, M. B. & Palompon, D. R. (2012). Predictors of Nurses’ Licensure Examination performance of graduates in Cebu Normal University, Philippines. Asian Journal of Health, 2(1), 130-141.
24. Orvis, B., Cunningham, J., & Kelley, H. (1975). A closer examination of causal inference: the roles of consensus, distinctiveness, and consistency information. Journal of Personality and Social
Psychology, 32(4), 605-616.
25. Parinas, M., & Obrero, R. (2012). Relevance of the topics in the Criminologist Licensure Examination Review Program of the University of Northern Philippines. UNP Research Journal, 21(1), 96-
26. Pascua, J. B., & Navalta, J. D. (2011). Determinants of LET performance of the teacher education graduates in a state university. JPAIR Multidisciplinary Journa,l 6(1), 90-102.
27. Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2008). Nursing research: generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
28. PRC. (2000). PRC Resolution No. 2000-663 Series of 2000. Retrieved from http://www.prc.gov.ph/uploaded/documents/PRC%20 RESO%20NO.%202000-663%20AGRICULTURE_e.pdf.
29. Quiambao, D., Baking, E., Buenviaje, L., Nuqui, A., & Cruz, R. (2015). Predictors of board examination performance of the DHVTSU College of Education graduates. Journal of Business and
Management Studies, 1(1), 1-4.
30. Ramos, M. M., Ananoria, A. M., & Nera, C. M. (2012). Factors affecting the performance of library and information professionals in the Librarians’ Licensure Examination (LLE) 2006-2010, part 1: age, gender, and type of examinees. Journal of Philippine Librarianship, 32: 55-63.
31. Reynolds, D., Creemers, B., Nesselrodt, P., Schaffer, E., Stringfield, S., & Teddlie, C. (1994). Advances in school effectiveness: Research and practice. New York: Elsevier Science Inc.
32. Rosales, A., Arugay, Y., Divinagracia, C., & Palaganas, E. (2014). Analytical study of the Nurses’ Licensure Examination Performance of Graduates of Philippines Colleges of Nursing. Philippine
Journal of Nursing, 84(1), 4-23.
33. Sevilla, C., Ochave, J., Punsalan, T., Regala, B., & Uriarte, G. (1992). Research Methods. Quezon City: Rex Printing Company Inc.
34. Stoltzfus, J. C. (2011). Logistic regression: a brief primer. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21996075.
35. Tabachnick, B. G. & Fidell, L. S. (1996). Using multivariate statistics. New York: Harper Collins.
36. Tanada, G. T. & Sotelo, D. S. (nd). Predictors of Licensure Examination Performance of TIP Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation Graduates, Officer-In-Charge level. TIP Research Journal
Manila, 4(1). Retrieved from http://ejournals.ph/article.php?id=9039.
37. Truman, J. M. (2012). Identifying predictors of NCLEX-RN success in an Associate Degree Nursing Program. International Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 2(7), 37-45.
38. Yim, M. K. (2015). Exploration of examinees’ traits that affect the score of Korean Medical Licensing Examination. J Educ Eval Health Prof, 12(5) Retrieved from http://jeehp.org/DOIx.php?
Copyright (c) 2016 University of the Visayas
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.