Factors that influence resorts’ development in the Municipality of Dauin, Philippines
It is essential to adapt and improve tourism supply in order to respond to new tourist demand dynamics. This study tries to find out the factors that influence resorts development in Municipality of Dauin, Negros Oriental using a descriptive survey. A researcher-made survey questionnaire was administered to twenty-two (22) registered resort operators, as recorded in the Municipal Treasurer’s Office. Specifically, the study aimed to identify the factors that influence resorts development in terms of recreational activities, resting and relaxation, personal values, social experiences, and enriching and learning experiences. Data were collected mainly from registered resort businesses, after which results were tabulated and analyzed.The findings show that resorts development has indeed made a significant impact on the tourism trade in the municipality. Recreational activities were the highest factor that contributed to the increased number of resorts in the area. This implies that tourists visit the resorts largely for recreation such as outdoor activities, sports, entertainment, fun, and doing something out of the ordinary.
2. LeBlanc, G., & Nguyen, N. (1996). Cues used by customers evaluating corporate image in service firms: An empirical study in financial institutions. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 7(2), 44-56.
3. Miossec, J. M. (1976). Elements for a theory of space tourism. Centre for Advanced Tourism Studies. In M. Oppermann (Ed.) Tourism Space in Developing Countries. Annals of Tourism Research,
4. Miossec, J. M. (1977). A model of the tourist area. Geographic Space , 6(1), 41-48.
5. Namazi, I. (n.d.). Analysis for Several Models in Plan for Development of Tourism Industry.
6. Negros Oriental Tourism. (2010, January 20). Apo Island. Retrieved from http:// http://negrostourism.com/?p=156/
7. Negros Oriental Provincial Tourism Office. (2015, January 15). Negros Oriental fast facts. Retrieved from http:// http://www.visitnegrosoriental.com/negros-oriental-fast-facts /
8. Saayman, M. & Saayman, A. (2006). Creating a framework to determine the socio-economic impact of national park in South Africa: A case study of the Addo Elephant National Park. Tourism Economics, 12(4), 619-633.
9. Sullivan, M., & Adcock, D. (2002). Retail marketing. UK: Cengage Learning EMEA.
10. Tayco, R. O. (2013). Tourists Arrivals and Peace Indices: Ascertaining the Impact of the Irregularities and Ruggedness of Peace Situation Across the Globe. PRISM, 18(1), 8.
11. UNEP (2008). Disaster Risk Management for Coastal Tourism Destination Responding to Climate Change. A Practical Guide for Decision-makers. France: United Nations Environment Programme.
12. Van Vuureen, C. & Slabbert, E. (2011). Travel motivations and behavior of tourists to a South African resort. African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation and Dance, 17(4), 694-707.
13. World Trade Organization Annual Report 2003. (2015, February 24). Retrieved from https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/anrep_e/anrep03_e.pdf
Copyright (c) 2017 University of the Visayas
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.